No products in the cart.
Indigo Boro Patchwork Flag
All hand crafted, one-of-a-kind, patchwork flag in antique Japanese indigo ‘boro’ with sashiko stitching. This is an ‘abstracted’ flag using solid and striped fabrics to convey the iconic design of an American flag. Backed in vintage fabric of either solid linen or feedbag, with brass grommets. Please note: the photograph is for general reference: each piece is made-to-order and will vary according to available materials.
‘Boro’ translated from Japanese means: ragged, tattered, worn to shreds or pieces…. fundamentally it is ‘rag’. This peasant fabric was created, used, salvaged and reused by country folk over a century ago. Before ‘recycling’ became an environmental movement; hardship and impoverishment necessitated frugality–every scrap of fabric being used and repurposed.
* patched dark indigo solid & striped boro create the ‘stripes’
* patched light indigos & patterned darks create the star field
* backed in vintage fabric: solid linen or feedbag
* side band of striped indigo boro with heavy brass grommets
* quilted with tied heavy waxed linen thread
* can be hung vertically with grommets
* can be hung horizontally using nail brads
* made-to-order, allow 4 – 6 weeks for delivery
machine wash and dry
36″ W X 60″ H (approximately)
MADE IN USA of all vintage materials
Complimentary stencil of your choice on reverse
We unconditionally guarantee our products
J. Augur Design was founded and operates with an enduring commitment to environmental principles and fair employment in all our business operations. We are a small organization that: “meets the needs of the present world without compromising the ability of the future generations to meet their own needs.”
Thank you for supporting our endeavor to bring material culture to a material world in a responsible and sustainable fashion,
1 in stock